Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Country Style Cube Steak with Peppers and Onions

You probably already know this if you have been reading this blog, but if this is the first time reading it I have to share my extreme passion for saving money. Grocery shopping is one area that I tend to save the most money.

Along with using coupons, I will scout out the best bargain on meats as well. The supermarket that I shop has a particular time of day that they begin marking down meats and produce. I try to plan my supermarket trips around that time.

This past week I was able to get 4 large cube steak filets for $4. Growing up my mom used to flour cube steak filets and cook them in a frying pan with a dab of butter. The recipe below uses that same technique, but with a few added ingredients for more flavor. Enjoy!

Country Style Cube Steak with Peppers and Onions

Ingredients:

4 Cube steaks
2 Tbsp flour
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp butter
1 Onion, julienne
1 Pepper, julienne (I used some green and red)

For the Sauce:

1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
3/4 Cup beef broth
1/2 Cup water
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tsp Dijon mustard (I used honey Dijon) - optional


Heat 1 Tbsp of butter in skillet over medium heat.

In a ziploc bag combine the flour, salt and pepper. Close bag and shake to combine. Add steaks and shake to coat.

Add steaks to pan and brown on each side. Remove steaks from pan and cover with foil. Add 1 Tbsp of butter to the skillet and add vegetables, cook until tender.

Remove vegetables and place under foil with steaks.

Add 1 Tbsp of butter to skillet and whisk 1 Tbsp of flour into the butter. Slowly add beef broth and continue to whisk. Continue whisking as you add Worcestershire, mustard, and water. Once you no longer see lumps add steak and vegetables back to the skillet and simmer for about 7-10 minutes.

Remove steak and top with sauce and vegetables...yummy!

I served this with spinach rice bake and green beans. My husband had two servings and said it was fantastic!

0 comments: