Friday, March 9, 2012

Kiwi Breakfast Cake


Before posting this delicious recipe for Kiwi Breakfast Cake I would like to share something with you. A few years ago I began a nighttime bible study at my church. I met a wonderful Christian lady in that study that has become an amazing friend. She is such an encourager and I am extremely grateful that God has put us together. I would like to dedicate this post to her. Melanie, thanks for allowing God to speak through you.

Melanie, I still have not made that Texas Sheet Cake you recommended, but I did make this delicious Kiwi Breakfast Cake that I hope everyone enjoys.

This recipe can be found in Rachel Ray's EveryDay magazine (the only change I made was to reduce the sugar).

Kiwi Breakfast Cake

Ingredients:

2 Kiwis
1 Cup milk at room temperature
2 1/4 Cups flour
1 Tsp baking powder
1 Tsp baking soda
1 Tsp cinnamon
3/4 Tsp salt
1 Stick unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 Cup sugar
3 Eggs

Preheat oven 350°

Slice the ends off the kiwis and press pulp from the ends through a small colander or fine-mesh sieve into the bowl of milk. This will allow the milk to curdle. Set it aside for about 10 mins.

Peel kiwis and slice very thin.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

In a mixer combine the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 5 mins. Beat in each egg, one at a time at a low speed.

Pour milk into egg mixture followed by dry mix until completely combined.

Pour batter into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet that has been buttered or sprayed with cooking spray. Completely cover the top of the batter with kiwi slices without overlapping.

Bake for about 40 mins or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

0 comments: