Friday, March 16, 2012

Crispy Oven Fried Vegetables

Our local supermarket had zucchini and yellow squash on sale for dirt cheap this week so I picked up a few. Traditionally I saute these with olive oil and onions, but I wanted to try something different. I came across a recipe in one of my many little Pampered Chef cookbooks called Crispy Oven Fried Vegetables. I decided to give it a try since the suggested vegetables were zucchini and squash.

It was not a huge success, but definitely a different way to cook these vegetables than I normally do. I have to also say that it may have lacked some flavor because I used panko breadcrumbs instead of Italian bread crumbs (why can't I follow the recipe as it is written). Give it a try and see what you think.

These are great dipped in a cucumber dip, ranch or even sweet chili pepper sauce(my favorite).

Crispy Oven Fried Vegetables

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
1/2 Cup Italian breadcrumbs
1 Egg white
1 Tbsp skim milk or alternative
10 Drops hot pepper sauce
3 Cups of vegetables - yellow squash, zucchini, sweet potato, eggplant, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms.....

Preheat the oven to 425°

Combine parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. In a separate bowl whisk egg white, milk and hot pepper.

Dip each vegetable in egg mixture than coat with breadcrumb mixture. Place in a single layer on a baking pan coated with cooking spray.

Spritz each vegetable with olive oil and cook for about 12-14 minutes.

0 comments: