Monday, January 2, 2012

Rosemary Pressure Cooker Chicken & Vegetables


This past Christmas was just spectacular. I received so many new gadgets for the kitchen. One item in particular was a Anodized Pressure Cooker. I have secretly always wanted a pressure cooker, but terrified to use it. I have pictures in my head of the pressure valve flying off and hitting me right in the face. Go ahead laugh if you want, but these things can be dangerous.

When I was growing up my mom would use her pressure cooker all the time. She was never afraid to try anything in that pressure cooker. My brother and I just stayed away cause we were never sure what was going to happen when it started making that whistling sound.

If you have a pressure cooker you probably already know how moist and delicious meat and vegetables cook in it. If you don't already have a pressure cooker you should definitely think about investing in one. I cooked a whole chicken and vegetable in less than 30 minutes.

Rosemary Pressure Cooker Chicken and Vegetables

2-3 lb Chicken - whole
1 Tbsp oil
1 1/2 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth or Water
2 Rosemary sprigs - whole
2 Tsp Thyme
Salt and Pepper
Vegetables of your choice (I used carrots, celery, cabbage, onions and potatoes)

Place oil in pressure cooker and heat. Add chicken and brown on each side. You are not trying to cook the chicken, just allowing it to seal in moisture and give it some color.

Once chicken is brown on each side. Add broth, thyme and rosemary.

Seal pressure cooker and cook according to pressure cooker instructions.

Remove chicken from pressure cooker after you have allowed it to cool*.

Add vegetables (I used carrots, celery, cabbage, onions and potatoes) to pressure cooker and cook according to cooker instructions.

Serve this moist, flavorful chicken and vegetables with a side of black-eye peas and you have a complete meal in a very short time.

* To cool pressure cooker:
  • Run under cold water and then release steam from regulator
  • If you are cooking a whole chicken you can allow it to cool by setting it aside for a few minutes

0 comments: