Saturday, January 14, 2012

Mushroom Quinoa Burgers

Let me just start out by saying that these Mushroom Quinoa Burgers that I made last night were the best Vegetarian burgers ever. I have made numerous attempts at making Vegetarian burgers and nothing compares to these burgers. I have to honestly say that I would rather have these burgers over traditional meat hamburgers. My husband even said they were fabulous. He did not go as far to say that he would prefer them over the traditional meat burger, but would be thrilled to have them again.

I can not take credit for this recipe though. I found it in the January issue of All You. I did make some minor changes so I will post the recipe below.

Mushroom Quinoa Burgers

Ingredients:

1 Cup Seeds of Change Whole Grain Quinoa Blend with Cilantro (you can use plain quinoa if you like)
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Small onion, finely chopped
4 oz. Mushroom, finely chopped
1/2 Cup old-fashioned oats
1 Large egg
1/4 Cheddar jack cheese (or any other cheese you desire)
1/4 Tsp salt
1/8 Tsp pepper
1 Tsp Italian seasoning
1/8 Garlic powder
4 - 6 Whole-wheat hamburger rolls

Prepare quinoa as directed. Transfer to a large bowl. If you use the Seeds of Change box quinoa you will have some leftover.

Warm 1 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir mushrooms and onions in the oil and saute for about 4-5 mins.

Add vegetables to the bowl with the quinoa and allow to cool.

Once cool add oats, egg, cheese, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. I did also add a tbsp or two of panko breadcrumbs because my burgers were too sticky.

Shape into 4 to 6 patties.



Add 2 Tbsp of oil to the skillet over medium-high heat and place burgers in skillet. Cook for about 6 mins on each side or golden brown.

Place burgers in buns and top with your favorite toppings (lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup, mustard....).

* I can not rave enough about these burgers, they were amazing. I am even making more of them today to have for lunches this week.

6 comments:

cjtoscano said...

I am totally making these this week! Thanks for sharing! I am quiet on your blog, but am always here looking! keep up the good work!

What's For Dinner said...

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I made these burgers again today to have this week for lunches. Please let me know what you think once you try them. Your comments are much appreciated.

cjtoscano said...

Outstanding! The boys went crazy for them. I served them on English Muffins! I pinned it!

Rebecca said...

Happened upon this from Southern Savers....looks yummy...can't wait to try! Thanks

Anonymous said...

I made these for my nephew but omitted the mushrooms because he doesnt like them, I added a Tbsp a BBQ sauce to the mixture (as we were having a bbq)..I had to try one and they were delicious!!

What's For Dinner said...

So glad you liked the quinoa burgers. BBQ would be a great addition, thanks for the tip!