Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Swiss Steak with Carrots and Potatoes


Trying to stay on a budget is pretty hard, as I am sure all of you know. Food prices have escalated lately and it seems more so in the meat department than any other. Therefore, I have been searching for recipes that incorporate cheaper pieces of meat and just as much flavor.



When I was child my mom would make Swiss steak for dinner. She made it so tender you had no idea you were eating a cheaper cut of meat. I would love to get that same Swiss steak recipe from my mom, but from my previous experience of exchanging recipes with her, she never seems to give me the entire recipe. There are always missing components. I think it is because she throws dinners together and forgets what she puts in them each time. Therefore, I resorted to searching for just the right Swiss Steak recipe online.


Alton Brown on the Food Network has an excellent recipe for Swiss Steak. I have adapted it just a little to incorporate more vegetables and I am cooking it in the crock pot instead of the oven.

Swiss Steak with Carrots and Potatoes

2 lbs Cube steak
2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp pepper
1/2 Cup all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 Cup vegetable oil
1 Large onion, thinly sliced
1 Green Pepper, thinly sliced
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Celery Stalk, chopped
1 Large carrot, chopped
2 Medium-sized red potatoes, peeled, chopped and, parboiled
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 (14.5 oz) Can diced tomatoes
1 Tsp oregano
1 Tsp paprika
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 Cups beef broth


Heat oil in skillet on medium. Salt and pepper each side of steaks. Dredge cube steaks in flour and place in skillet. Cook about 2 mins. per side. Remove steaks and place in crock pot.

(I think I added a little too much oil, because I had to pour some out before adding the veggies)

Add onion, celery, green pepper, and carrot to skillet. Cook for about 2 mins. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.

Add tomato paste, oregano, and paprika. Stir to combine flavors. Add diced tomatoes, worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Continue to stir adding the potatoes last.

Carefully, add vegetable mix to the crock pot over the steaks and cook for about 4-6 hours on low.



I served this over brown rice.

* I do not believe I would add the potatoes the next time I cook this recipe. They really did not add anything in my opinion, but you give it try and see what you think.

0 comments: