Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Prosciutto Pasta Toss


I have been sick for the past few days, so the last thing I wanted to do last night was make an elaborate dinner. I began searching through my tried and trusted recipe book of our family favorites and came across a super simple recipe that I thought I must share with all of you.

The original recipe for Prosciutto Pasta Toss can be found on the Taste of Home website. I made a few additions, but overall followed the recipe.

Prosciutto can be expensive, although my local supermarket, Harris Teeter, does place it on sale every couple of months. In this case, I purchased sliced Prosciutto da Parma 3oz size for $3.99 (50% off the original price).

I am kind of glad my husband was not here for dinner last night because there would not have been any leftovers. My oldest son ate two helpings and I sent him to school today with the leftovers.

Prosciutto Pasta Toss

Ingredients:

1 Package spaghetti or linguine of your choice (I used Ronzoni SmartTaste)
1/4 Cup olive oil
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 Tsp pepper
1/4 Medium yellow onion
4 Cloves garlic
3 oz Thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
1/2 Cup no-salt canned sweet peas (you can frozen if you like)
1/4 Cup fresh basil, chopped (optional)
1/4 Grated parmesan cheese

Cook spaghetti according to package directions.



Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add onions, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Cook until onions are translucent. Add garlic and prosciutto and cook for a couple minutes more.

If using frozen peas, add them to the pasta in the last 3 mins. of cooking time. If using canned peas add them to the prosciutto skillet right before you add the pasta.



Drain pasta and add to prosciutto mixture. Stir to combine. Place in individual bowls topped with chopped basil and grated parmesan.

This goes great with a side salad and fresh bread.

*The reason I use canned peas instead of frozen is just a personal preference. I am not a fan of frozen peas and I like the fact that I can get no-salt peas if I buy them in a can.

0 comments: