Monday, October 10, 2011

Israeli Couscous with Tomato, Spinach and Pine nuts


As I was putting my menu plan together for the week I came across a vegetarian recipe in the new October All You magazine and thought it would work perfect for our vegetarian nights.

The recipe was called Red Quinoa Pilaf with Tomato, Spinach and Pine Nuts. I had all the ingredients for this recipe except quinoa, so I included it on my grocery list and set out to get it. Much to my surprise quinoa was quite expense, $4.99 a box, leaving me no choice, but to find a replacement. I decided to purchase Israeli couscous instead because it was only $0.99 a bag and it seemed like an obvious substitute.

Therefore, I have renamed this recipe and made a couple of other changes and I will list them below. I hope you enjoy!

Israeli Couscous with Tomato, Spinach, and Pine Nuts

Ingredients:

1 cup of Israeli Couscous
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 large tomatoes, diced (I used one large and 10 grape tomatoes chopped)
3 cups of vegetable broth
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 cup fresh baby spinach, chopped
Feta cheese (optional)

Heat one tbsp of olive oil in a skillet and add couscous. Heat until couscous is golden brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Add another tbsp of olive oil to the skillet. Add onions and saute until translucent. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.

Add tomatoes and vegetable broth to the skillet and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, carefully transfer to crock pot. Add couscous and salt and pepper.




(I know we desperately need a new camera)

Cover and cook on low until the liquid is almost all absorbed about 2 hours. If it becomes too dry add more stock.

Place pine nuts in a small skillet over medium heat and toast until light golden brown. You must turn and shake these constantly to prevent burning. Transfer to a bowl.

In the minutes of cooking add spinach and pine nuts to crock pot. Once spinach is wilted, transfer to individual bowls and serve. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I also added a sprinkle of feta cheese on top of each for even more flavor and served with a side salad.

0 comments: