Sunday, December 18, 2011

Mexican Salad

A friend of mine gave me a recipe for Mexican Salad that has become such a family favorite that I had to share it.

This Mexican Salad has just the right amount of kick to excite your taste buds. After trying bites of the cucumber and celery in the salad I was able to get my youngest son to eat a couple of the tomatoes too (which are not his favorite).

I used the vegetables I had on hand, but this salad is pretty versatile so you can use whatever vegetables your family likes.

Mexican Salad

Ingredients:

1 Ripe tomato, chopped
1 Cucumber, remove seeds and cut into bite-size chunks
1/2 medium red onion, chopped (I used white instead)
1 Bell pepper, red or green, cut into bite-size chunks (I did not have a pepper so I left it out)
1 Rib celery, chopped
1/2 Jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (I left out because of the kids)
1 Tbsp cilantro or fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 Tsp hot sauce
1/2 Tsp cumin
The juice of 1 lime
1-2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch of kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Combine vegetables in bowl. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or parsley. Dress salad with hot sauce, lime juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss salad and adjust seasonings to taste.

Great side dish with tacos or quesadillas.

0 comments: