Thursday, December 1, 2011

Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore


My husband and I were talking about how we have never had Chicken Cacciatore. I don't know why it popped into my head that this was the week I was going to make it for the first time.

I did a little research to understand exactly what ingredients make Chicken Cacciatore. It is usually prepared with green peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and herbs. In Northern Italy they make Cacciatore with red wine and Southern Italy makes it with white wine.

Traditionally, Chicken Cacciatore is braised, but I decided to use my trusty crock pot. I told you how much I love my crock pot, right?

I hope you enjoy my take on Chicken Cacciatore.

Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore

Ingredients:

3 Large frozen chicken breasts (more if your crockpot will hold them)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Medium onion, sliced in strips
1 Large green pepper, sliced in strips
1 Package of fresh mushrooms
1 Carrot, shredded
3 Garlic cloves, minced
1 28 oz Can crushed tomatoes (I used the fresh roma tomatoes I canned over the summer)
1-2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 Tsp Parsley
2 Tbsp fresh basil (I frozen fresh basil over the summer in ice cubes with a touch of olive oil)
2 Tbsp red wine
Salt and pepper to taste
Couple shakes of red pepper (optional)

Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and carrot. Cook until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and spices and cook for an additional minute.

Add tomato paste and stir to combine with vegetables. Once combined add crushed tomatoes. Add red wine and stir.

Spray crock pot with cooking spray. Salt and pepper chicken and add to crock pot.

Add sauce to the crock pot to cover the chicken.

Cook on low for 5-7 hours.

Serve over your favorite pasta and a side of fresh bread. Enjoy!

*If sauce is too thick add some water. If it is too thin add more tomato paste.

0 comments: