Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Vegetarian Quinoa Chili - Crock Pot

Vegetarian Quinoa ChiliWe have an overabundance of yellow squash in our garden and I have been super excited about finding recipes to include this colorful little creation.  I tried some traditional dishes like sauteed squash with onions and fried squash, but my kids just don't care for them.  Then I came across an incredible recipe for Vegetarian Chili with yellow squash and thought maybe if I cut them really small the kids would not notice.

Verdict: 3 thumbs up and 1 down (the picky four-year old of course).  My oldest loved this chili and gobbled it right up.

I am not usually to crazy about vegetarian chili, but this was outstanding and extremely versatile!

Vegetarian Quinoa Chili - Crock Pot

Ingredients:

3 Carrots, diced
2 Yellow squash, diced
1 Red pepper, diced
1 Red onion, chopped
3 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced (This chili is not spicy so please don't leave out the jalapeno)
28 oz Crushed tomatoes
2-3 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tsp dried oregano
1/3 Cup quinoa
1 (15oz) Can of beans, white, black, red, brown (I used white northern beans because that is what I had on hand)
1/3 Cup barbecue sauce

Add first 10 ingredients to crock pot and stir until mixed well.

Sprinkle quinoa over top, leaving a border around the edge.  Do not press or mix into the chili.

Cover and cook for 3-5 hours on high and 6-8 on low.  Add beans and barbecue sauce to the crock pot, stirring to mix all the flavors together about 30 minutes before serving.

Serve in individual bowls with cornbread or crackers.  YUM!

0 comments: