Saturday, June 9, 2012

Hamburger Macaroni Surprise

When I was coming up with my menu for the week I happen to be with a friend of mine who gave me the inspiration for this dinner.

She told me I should make macaroni goulash for dinner.  After she told me some of the ingredients I remembered that my mom used to make that same dish for us when I was a little girl.

I had to change the name from "goulash" to "surprise" because my husband said it did not sound appetizing and the kids would not eat it if I called it "goulash".  With that being said here is a recipe for Hamburger Macaroni Surprise:

Hamburger Macaroni Surprise

Ingredients:

1 lb Hamburger or Turkey
1 Small onion, diced
1 Carrot, shredded
1 Celery stalk, diced
1 Can crushed tomatoes, undrained
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp worchestershire
1 Cup vegetable broth
Fresh basil
Fresh oregano
Fresh parsley
Salt and pepper
1/2-1 Cup of cheddar cheese

Cook hamburger, onion, carrot, and celery on medium heat until hamburger is brown.

Turn heat up to medium-high.  Add tomatoes, tomato paste, worchestershire, macaroni and vegetable broth (add extra water or broth if needed to cook macaroni).   Once it starts to bubble turn heat down to a simmer.  Stir frequently so it does not stick to the bottom.

Cook until macaroni noodles are tender.  Add basil, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper.  Stir in cheese and let it melt.  Serve!

0 comments: