Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Chicken in Onion Buttermilk Gravy - Crock Pot

On days when I cook meals in the crock pot I always seem to feel more relaxed. I don't have to fret around 5pm trying to prepare dinner because it has already been cooking all day.

Even though summer is approaching I will still be using my crock pot quite often. I just find that it saves time and money.


Chicken in Onion Buttermilk Gravy

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 lbs Chicken thighs or breasts
1 Onion, sliced
1 Carrot, diced
1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp pepper
1/4 Tsp dried thyme leaves (use a little more if you like)
1/8 Cup all-purpose flour
8 oz Vegetable or chicken broth
1 Bay leaf
1 Cup frozen green peas
3/4 Cup buttermilk (I used 1/2 cup of fat free milk and 3 Tbsp of sour cream)
I also added some celery and yellow pepper, but that is optional

Heat oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add chicken and cook until all sides are lightly brown. Transfer to the crock pot.

Add onions and carrots to the pan and cook until tender. Add salt, pepper, and thyme and cook for an additional minute. Add flour to the mixture and stir well cooking for another minute. Add broth and bay leaf and stir until the mixture thickens.

Pour mixture over the chicken and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Add peas and buttermilk to the crock pot stirring to combine. Cover and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes.


Remove bay leaf and serve.

I served this over homemade mashed potatoes and it was delightful.

0 comments: