Thursday, July 14, 2011

Update: Homemade Tahini


I have to apologize for not posting this sooner. Things have been crazy around here. My oldest son just started kindergarten and the whole house is trying to adjust.

Now it is time to get back into cooking. After receiving 4 bags of Bob's Red Mill White Hulled Sesame Seeds I decided it was time to make homemade Tahini.

Homemade Tahini

16 oz bag of sesame seeds
2/3 cup of olive oil


Toast the entire bag of sesame seeds in a skillet over medium-high heat. You will need a pretty large skillet. Continue to toss the sesame seeds every few seconds until they are very lightly toasted. I say very lightly toasted because I did happen to over cook a few and it changes the taste.
Remove sesame seeds from the skillet and place in a bowl to cool. This is very important because if you leave them in the skillet even after removing from the stove they will continue to cook.

Place cooled sesame seeds into food processor. Let olive oil drizzle through the liquid feed tube. Pulse for about 3 mins or until you have reached desired consistency. Store in refrigerator.
You can use less or more olive oil depending on how you like it.


*After making the Tahini I then used it to make homemade hummus. My husband said it was spectacular!

More recipes to come using Tahini.........

0 comments: