Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Yellow Squash Pie


My mom and dad have a wonderful garden and they love to share their bounty. This past week when we went to visit they gave us so many vegetables that I had to find alternative ways of cooking them.

For the tomatoes, my husband canned homemade salsa (if I can ever get him to write down his ingredients I will post it). With all the zucchini we made a zucchini casserole and chocolate zucchini muffins. Now that left me with 7 whole squash.

My kids do not like squash at all. I have tried it so many different ways. I have even completely hid it in a main dish and they took one bite and knew it was there.

I thought maybe if I made it sweet they would eat it, so I started to do some research. I came across a recipe for squash pie. Apparently, squash pie is a southern favorite. Well, I am from the south and I have never heard of it.

Tallying the scores after we tried this dish: 3 liked, 1 did not like - you just can't please everybody :-)

Yellow Squash Pie

4 Medium sized yellow squash diced
1/4 Cup of melted butter (I used Bestlife butter)
3/4 Cup of sugar
1 Tbsp of vanilla extract or lemon extract
1 Tbsp of unbleached all-purpose flour
2 Egg yolks, beaten
Dash of salt
9-inch Pie shell (homemade or store-bought)

Steam squash or cook in boiling salted water until tender. Drain squash and mash or pulse a couple times in the food processor (not too much or it will liquify).

Combine butter, sugar, and vanilla extract; stir in flour, beaten eggs, and mashed squash, with a dash of salt.

Pour squash mixture into baked pie shell; bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes, or until firm. My pie did not get firm until I took it out and let it sit.

*The original recipe for Squash Pie called for 5 medium squash. I tried it with 5 and it was too much for my pie crust. The original recipe also suggested slicing instead of dicing the squash, but I thought it would be easier to mash if they were diced.

0 comments: