Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Homemade Hummus


Although, this is not a dinner recipe I thought It was worth sharing anyway. In our house, we have hummus at least once or twice a week for lunch. I usually send my oldest son to school with homemade hummus, crackers and carrots for his lunch.

After spending an enormous amount of money each week buying hummus I decided to research recipes and come up with one that I could make at home for less money.

Homemade Hummus
Ingredients:
  • 2 cloves garlic (press with a garlic press)
  • 1 can (15.5 oz) of chickpeas or garbanzo beans (save the juice - see below)
  • 4 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons tahini
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • couple dashes of cumin
  • 1/4 cup of the chickpea juice from can
Pour garbanzo beans/chickpeas into food processor. Place lemon juice, tahini, pressed garlic, salt and a couple dashes of cumin in food processor. Blend until creamy and well mixed. Pour some of the juice from the jar into the food processor.

Use a little juice if you like your hummus thick and a lot of juice if you like your hummus thinner. We like ours thinner so I use almost 1/4 cup of chickpea juice.

Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate. If you are serving right away for guests I would suggest sprinkling 1 tbsp of olive oil on the top. It adds moisture and tastes great.

Serve with pita bread cut into triangles or pita chips. My mouth is watering right now just thinking about this hummus.

*Please note that you should not substitute peanut butter for tahini in this hummus recipe. Tahini is ground sesame seeds. It is a lot like peanut butter, but in this recipe peanut butter would not work as a substitution.*

2 comments:

Shea said...

I just made your hummus recipe. It's great! And so easy. I will definitely be making this every week instead of buying it at the store. Love your blog! ~Shea

What's For Dinner said...

Thanks so much Shea! Glad you enjoyed it.