Friday, July 15, 2011

Chocolate Tahini Cookies


If you looked at my previous post you may have noticed that I made homemade tahini. I used it to make hummus and then thought maybe it would be good with chocolate. I have an enormous sweet tooth. I begin researching the web trying to find a chocolate tahini recipe that had under ten ingredients and was easy to make.

I found a recipe for Chocolate Tahini Cookies and had to give it a try. I am so glad I did because it was fantastic. The whole family loved it and I felt great serving it to them since it did not have butter or sugar. I would love to know what you think if you give it a try.

Chocolate Tahini Cookies

  • 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup ground oats (grind rolled oats in a spice grinder or food processor)
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 cup homemade tahini or store-bought
  • 1/2 cup natural maple syrup
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips or chunks (I used chunks because that is what I had on-hand)
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ground oats, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the tahini, maple syrup and vanilla extract.

Spoon the flour mixture into the tahini mixture and mix to combine. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.

Line a cookie pan with parchment paper and drop the cookie dough by large tablespoons onto the pan. Flatten the cookies with the bottom of a glass or your hand. Although, my cookies are not pretty in appearance the taste is rich and colorful.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until the cookies have cracked slightly and the tops are almost dry to the touch. Cool completely on a wire rack. Store cookies in a tightly-covered container at room temperature.

0 comments: