Saturday, July 23, 2011

Banana "Ice Cream" with Chocolate Sauce (No Machine Required)

If you have been reading my blog for even just a short while you know that I have an extreme love for chocolate. I like for my kids to enjoy chocolatey treats from time to time, but I do not like the extra sugar and fat that goes in most of them. This recipe is a wonderful alternative to ice cream and was a perfect refreshment to our 100 degree weather. With that being said let me share a recipe that I found in the July issue of All You magazine.

This recipe is an excellent use of those super ripe bananas and it looks just like ice cream.

Banana "Ice Cream" with Chocolate Sauce (No Machine Required)

Ingredients:

4 oz semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
3 Tbsp water
5 ripe bananas (peeled, cut into small chunks and FROZEN)
1/4-1/2 cup of fat-free milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and add 3 Tbsp of water. Heat on high for 30 seconds, stir. Heat again for 30 more seconds or until chocolate is completely melted and becomes smooth.

Place frozen bananas in a food processor and pulse until broken down. Add milk and vanilla and process until smooth. You may need to scrape the sides and break up any chunks you see.

Place banana "ice cream" into dishes and top with chocolate sauce.

It tastes much better than it looks in this picture. I let the ice cream melt too much before I was able to take the picture. I promise it is super delicious!

The perfect addition to this treat would be nuts. Add your favorite nuts and you have an ice cream sundae without all the added sugar and fat.

*You could also add a Tbsp of peanut butter/sunflower butter to have that perfect balance of sweet and salty.

0 comments: