Monday, November 7, 2011

Portabella Colby Jack Burgers


It really is hard to come up meals that please everyone in my family. I am sure it is the same in all households around the world. I find it particularly difficult to create Vegetarian meals that please the majority.

Well, I found a Portabella Mushroom "Burger" recipe in Rachael Ray's cooking magazine that sounded and looked delicious. Since portabella mushrooms have a meat-like taste they would be perfect for a hamburger disguise.

After eating them I thought the burgers had a nice meaty grilled taste and so did my oldest son. However, my youngest son was not fooled, one bite and he said "what is this?". I don't know if you remember from my other posts, but my youngest is the meat eater. He did take a few bites, but I have to say he was not impressed.

I made a couple of small changes to the original recipe based on what I had in my kitchen and the likes and dislikes of my family.

Portabella Colby Jack Burgers

Ingredients:

4 Large Portabella Mushrooms Caps (washed, gills scrapped and cut into disks)
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup white vinegar
1/4 Cup water
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 Cup worchestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
4 Slices colby monterey jack cheese
4 Slices of tomato
Spinach lettuce
Condiments such as ketchup, mustard or guacamole

Mix vinegar, water and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add olive oil, worestershire, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.

Place portabella mushroom into mixture and marinate for 45 mins or longer (I marinated all afternoon).

Grill mushrooms for about 5-6 mins. Top with cheese and grill until cheese is melted.

Serve on a sweet brioche or Hawaiian hamburger roll topped with any of your favorite hamburger toppings.

0 comments: