Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hummus Cucumber Tomato Sandwich


Sometimes you just have one of those days, when things just aren't going as planned. I had one of those days today. It was 4:30pm and I had no idea what to make for dinner, nor did I even feel like making anything. I thought maybe I would just make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but that just did not sound good to me.

I came across a video recipe for a Hummus Cucumber Sandwich by Sandra Lee on Youtube. Our garden has produced so many cucumbers this year I thought this sandwich would be perfect. I made a few changes/additions, take a look.

Ingredients:

Wheat or White Bread
Homemade Hummus or Roasted Garlic store bought
1 cucumber (I sliced them thin, but thick would work as well)
1 tomato - (I sliced these thin as well)
1 onion
dash of salt

Toast bread, and then coat one slice with hummus. Place cucumber over the hummus with a dash of salt. Add tomato and onion. Cut into four squares. I served with carrot sticks, freshly picked green beans (my kids like them in their raw form), and some light potato chips. It was so fresh and delicious!

For dessert we had Machine-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream. The recipe for this dessert also says that it is dairy-free, but I had to add milk to it to get the consistency we like. I also add a few semi-sweet chocolate chips too. What can I say I LOVE chocolate.


*Please note if you slice your cucumber and tomato thick instead of thin you may need to use more than one cucumber and tomato.*

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a test comment.