Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Crock Pot Meatloaf


We are back from vacation and things are back to normal. Our vacation was cut short due to a mandatory evacuation for Hurricane Irene at the North Carolina coast.

Before we left for vacation I put together a pretty good meatloaf recipe that I wanted to share. This is only the third time I have ever made meatloaf and my husband said this one was the best!

I failed to measure a lot of the ingredients for this meatloaf recipe, therefore I am going to list estimates below. Feel free to adjust based on how dry or wet your meat mixture becomes as you are mixing.

Crock Pot Meatloaf

Ingredients:

1 pound Meatloaf mix (beef, pork, & veal) - I found this at Lowe's Foods for 1/2 price
Egg substitute
1/4-1/2 cup of your favorite spaghetti sauce or homemade
1/4-1/2 cup of old fashioned oatmeal or breadcrumbs (you can ground the oatmeal in the food processor if you like)
1/4-1/2 Herb Seasoned Stuffing
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
1/2 cup of grated carrots
Salt and pepper
Couple dashes of garlic salt
Tomato sauce
2-3 slices of low-sodium bacon (optional)

Heat a small amount of olive oil in a pan and saute onions and carrots for a couple of mins. Mix all ingredients together except the last two.

Form into a loaf. Spray crock pot with cooking spray. Place loaf into crock pot. Top with tomato sauce and 2-3 slices of bacon.

Set crock pot on low and cook for 5-7 hours. This will depend on your crock pot. Mine cooks much quicker than most. Use a meat thermometer to check internal temperature (needs to be at least 170°).

I served this with butter beans and an easy sweet potato casserole.

1 comments:

josh said...

I love meatloaf and this was really good.